Friday, June 13, 2014

I'm probably a lesbian.

Conversation with my mom went something like this...

"So I've met someone new." I say.

"Okay, where did you meet him?" Asks my mom

"I met her playing roller derby (how cliche)." 

Pause of ohhhhh about, 5 to 7 seconds.

"Skye, I don't...I told you to be careful with that. Is it your new roommate, what about Ezra?" She asks, sounding very upset.


This is where the conversation took an ugly turn. This was coming from a woman who for the better part of my formative years was an open and out LESBIAN. I'll save that story for another blog post. She lives about 2000 miles away from me, hates to fly, but in 3 days was on a plane and sitting in my car arguing with me as we drove to my house. It was incredibly awkward and unexpected. 
I'm not saying that having your child tell you they are in a same sex relationship, seemingly out of left is easy, but I expected a tad more understanding. 
 --

The day I met my girlfriend, I wasn't exactly thrilled with the idea of going to another music festival in Austin, TX. But I didn't want to stay home either. I had already told friends I would meet them there, and it was only a few minutes up the road.

My first thought when I saw her, "she's definitely a lesbian".

Our mutual friend leans in real close and whispers, "hey what do you think of Nae?"

I'm really confused, Nae hadn't been there for more than a minute and our friend already wanted to get my take on her, why on earth would she even think I'd be remotely interested in this girl?

I had an inner dialogue for GOD what seemed like forever. I assumed Nae was interested, and that I definitely wasn't. I thought she was nice but couldn't see myself with someone like her.

We spent the entire rest of the night chatting, others left us alone because it was obvious something was happening. It took at least another month for things to become more clear. Neither of us thought we would be here over a year later and very much in love :)





 

No comments:

Post a Comment